Monday, September 5, 2011

Singapore Bay Run & Half Marathon 2011

Leave a Comment
This is probably the first running event I participated in ever since I started running. It all started with a 5km (not voluntarily) and a little encouragement from my running buddy in the following year's marathon to get one addicted to running and so this is where it all started...

Organized by Safra on 4th September 2011, Singapore Bay Run & Half Marathon 2011 entered it's 20th year. Over the years, participation has grown from 15,000 when it first started in 1992 to over 70,000 participants this year. (A Lil' History here - The SAFRA Sheares Bridge Run started in 1992 with 14,000 participants and The Army Half Marathon started in 1994. The two events were later merged in 1998.)

To celebrate SAFRA Singapore Bay Run & Army Half Marathon 20th Anniversary, the running routes will take participants past 20 iconic landmarks but for the first time the race will not cover the Benjamin Sheares Bridge.
The Running Route (Click to enlarge)
Safra members paid SGD 45 (exclusive of 7% GST) for 21km marathon and as a form of loyalty program, I paid SGD 28 for this event which really was a bargain in exchange for the following items displayed below. A while stocks last limited edition 2XU running vest (Red Singlet) are redeemable for active army NSmen (currently serving Army ICT) by presenting your SAF 11B at the counter when collecting your race pack. 
Event Race Pack!
Following an eventful kite flying day at NTUC Income Kite Festival the previous day, I had minimum sleep and was actually worried if I could finish my run. The run actually turn out well as I followed a pace my body was comfortable with. I did push myself to preserve and finish the run towards the end and eventually got myself a personal best of 1 hour 44 mins. It may not be a very fast timing to many but I actually proud of my timing as I finished strong towards the end - Something I was not capable of in the past.

The route was great this year except for some dark moments @ Gardens By the Bay which was actually dangerous and many safe runners slowed down to avoid any accident. This disrupt runners who were going for timing.

Dads for Life 800m Father and Child Challenge is the new category is introduced this year. Aimed at fostering bonding, father and child teams will run alongside for a short 800m route which is a good event in my opinion.
Running caught in action by one of the runners.
Managed to cross the line and finished strong!
Managed to grab a picture with dear before her 10km run.
After dear got back from her run.
Results Tabulated from Runpix

0 comments:

Post a Comment