Monday, May 7, 2012

MR25 Progressive Run Series 2012 - Series #2 (15km)

Leave a Comment

In the second run of the MacRitchie 25 Progressive Run Series held bi-monthly, runners aim to complete the 15km race. Starting at the Amenities Centre @ MacRitchie Reservoir, 7am sharp this time round, I arrived unfortunately two minutes late. But I'm glad the race organizer kept to their timing.

To understand more of MR25 Progressive Run Series 2012, you can read up more in my previous posting here.

Experience from my first run made me panicked a bit as I recalled majority of the runners in this race being fast. And being late for the run, even if it was for that three minutes actually meant I was one click away from the faster runners in the pack. This meant that I will take some time to catch up with the major bulk. Catching up with the pack helps as I know of that high tendency I will miss turns in the trails being an infrequent runner at MacRitchie. Even though the race route was released days before the event, I couldn't visualise the route, needless remember the path. Further to that reason, I really wanted someone I could keep pace with to achieve a good timing and so I need not think too much during the race.

Race Route 1a - Follow yellow route and exit to Lornie Road after SIME Golf course...
Race Roue 1b - Follow Lornie Road until Reservoir Road and go in, run inside Jungle and exit again to Lornie Road
Race Route 1c - Follow Lornie Road until Reservoir Road and go in, finish at Start/Finish point
But since I was late, I had to scrap my plan and come out with an alternative... fast. I decided on going slightly faster during the first few clicks so I could warm up my body and at the same time cover some distance before I start feeling tired. It was no longer about the timing as my objective became closing up to the runner in front me. I tried to keep a reasonable pace of 5 to 6 minutes so that I don't get wasted before completion. The route was muddy and slippery from yesterday's rain.

There were three or four hydration point along the route and a couple of volunteers appointed at critical point but I was still able to confuse myself at some path in the trail. Thanks to the experienced runners who guided me, I was able to find myself back at the finishing point.

Runners were greeted with a big stopclock at the finishing point as well as great cheering, clapping and encouragements from the supporters. There was good hydration fluid from Pocari Sweat as runners gathered to chat while enjoying the drink. 10 runners won themselves some lucky draw gifts too! I enjoyed the 'kampong' feel in this running event and am already looking forward to the next run in the series. 

Based on my stopwatch, I clocked a timing of 1:23:22. I will update on official timing and pictures once there are further updates.

0 comments:

Post a Comment