Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Singapore Biathlon 2012

2 comments

Singapore Biathlon 2012 is my first race with two disciplines for this brand new year. A 1.5km swim followed by a 10km run at East Coast Park. Though I wanted to better my results from previous year, I didn't feel like I train hard enough.

Unlike other races, the race pack and goodie pack was to be collected on race day. This was usually avoided in other races because it gets very messy without sufficient helpers. The organiser did an excellent job here by engaging plenty of helpers and directing the participants to the right queue according to priorities. To prevent congestion and for safety reason, there were 7 waves allocated with the first wave flagging off at 7.15am.
Event layout (Click on picture to enlarge)
The ladies kick start the event and I speculate the reason was so they can keep their skin fair from the scorching sun which was really very thoughtful of the organiser should this be true. They have interesting categories like ‘Dads For Life Father & Child Relay’ and ‘Sprint Challenge’ which promotes family bonding and increasing the competitiveness of the race.

Different swim caps were given to different flag offs and we did our body marking with our allocated numbers, strap on the race chip on our left ankle and eventually move to the transition counter to place our running equipment at the allocated box up area.

As my flag off timing starts at 8.15am, I went for a warm up swim at designated warm up area and did slight hydration before going into the pen. The emcee was excellent in hyping the participants up and we were off in no time.

The usual kicking, pulling, jumping by everyone was expected and I tried to go all the way to the right side of ocean where the current was coming from but I guess I didn’t go far enough as I was swept pretty close to the human wave very quickly. It was almost impossible for me to swim for the first 200 metres but I made it. The swim seems endless and eventually I ended the swim in 47:47 minutes. A staggering seven minutes slower than previous year!

At the transition area, I changed into my running singlet, shorts, socks and shoes (yes in this order!), put on some Vaseline to prevent abrasion and finally rinse my mouth off saltwater and took a sip before moving out for my run. It didn’t felt long but I actually took 2 minutes plus which definitely can be significantly drop if I get a new tri suit, and a slip on a lace up shoe.

Running Route. There was a slight shortage of distance marker though.
I stretched my legs wide during the start of the run and tried to maintain my strides as I recalled how much I suffered during my first biathlon. I got used to the breathing and felt strong after the first click and I think I did fine during my run. Hydrations along the route were positioned ideally and definitely deserve praise. I recalled some babes providing sprays for muscle relives along the way but couldn’t stop to take a longer look. :) I was happy that I could maintain a strong finish completed the run in 50 minutes, shaving off 13 minutes from last year.

Overall, I managed to shave a total of 3 minutes from 2011 but I thought I could have done better should my swim be better. Looks like there are more trainings to work on for 2013.

There were plenty of booths show casing their products and holding promotions at the finishing point, providing entertainment for both the participants and supporters. Stage performances were good too and hydrations were plentiful at the finishing point too. And there was banana too!!!
You can spot many useful stuff just from this picture
Certified Amphibian!!!
Very Medcho!
I collected my goodie bag before making my way to collect my stuff at the transition counter. The goodies for this race were good and at least practical and usable. The medal looks great and the results were out the following day, proving the efficiency of the organisation for the event.

For first timer who is interested to take part in your first biathlon, you will need to attend a swim trial and complete an open sea swim within 50 minutes to qualify. This swim trial is valid for 2 years and you are exempted if you have completed a Biathlon or Triathlon with a 1.5km swim distance in the last 2 years.
Caught in action but it didn't seem like I was running...
Rank    : 513/1220
Bib       : 8016
Swim    : 00:47:47
Transit : 00:02:20
Run      : 00:50:09
Total    : 01:40:15

2 comments:

  1. nice review! going to try it out next year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! :)

      See you in this race next year.

      Delete