Wednesday, October 19, 2011

HTNS Real Run 2011

Leave a Comment

HTNS Real Run 2011 takes its success into its 5th year and the only little surprise they have this year was to increase the distance of the 15km route into a half marathon route. The route still covers the four discipline - Sand, Trail, Taxiway and Road but at a further distance for each. A total of more than 10,000 runners was there for both the 10km and 21km distance and many categories for the open, veterans and corporate.

Real Run have always been pretty well managed and it made my SGD 44 bucks felt well spent. Being my second year participation, there was obviously a base expectation and the organizer did not disappoint me but neither did they amaze me much. 
Almost the normal stuff you get each year
Running bib and champion chip collection was done two weeks beforehand at Novena Square and it was their common practice to make goodie bag collection be on the race day itself - right after the run. I felt that this practice actually encourages race day participation and minimize the no-show possibility on race day since many lazy bums will actually feel the journey to the furthest east being a hassle after collecting the goodie bag on expo day.

Besides an exclusive New Balance event tee, New Balance Bag, good discount for new balance discount voucher (30% + 10% if you are Citibank card holder), Eaglebalm, the running bib, championchip and a running experience, you get loads of promotion leaflets which is not very useful to me. 

However goodies aside, the organizer planned well for the race even before the race starts. Shuttle buses were catered to pick runners island-wide at 13 different MRT stations at different timing depending on how far the distance it is to the race venue. Drivers can park their vehicles at the 2,000 free parking lots at Changi Exhibition Centre before 6.00am. Volunteers were there to guide drivers to park their cars and everything was done in the smoothest manner. Another lane was catered for runners to drop off as well so as to not contribute to any jams.

I did a bit of stretching but am totally not recovered from The North Face Run the previous day. The 10km runners starts at 7am while the 21km runners goes straight into the pit to warm up. The emcee was doing a good job in hyping up the crowd with waves and jokes. The race started on time and everyone dash through the gantry ready to do a good run.

The first 2km was on trail run and it was actually no longer that difficult for me after enduring the gruesome treatment the day before. I was going at 5min/km pace and it seems fine. I was hoping I could still get a decent timing despite the run the day before but I was wrong. After the 4km mark, I notice the drop in my speed and could only manage a 5.30min/km and by the 9km, I was going 6min/km. By the 10km mark, I gave up and felt that my tank was empty. I walked along the taxiway road and within 1km or so, the sun was out and I felt the sun was burning my fuels up literary. The next 7km was torture for me as I tried to cheat/convince/lie/negotiate with the inner in to run/jog/brisk walk to the next km within 7 to 8 mins every km. It was bad enough to do all the convincing until I saw the sand terrain and how tiny the people were at the other end of the beach. I will call that the killer path and the moment I notice how far the distance was, it takes no convincing and never was I so quick in deciding that I will walk through the whole 1.5km journey before going back to jogging mode. I finished the last 2.5km by following the front runners and keeping in mind that I wanted to be back in 2 hours and 20 mins. I made the timing fortunately but was actually quite pissed for taking a back to back run while not totally prepared for it. But its an experience gained and I will work harder to achieve the next goal.

Back at the finishing line, the first thing I aim for were the 100plus. The weather was killing and I had to dash into the hall to enjoy the air condition and at the same time collect my goodie bag and medal. I enjoyed having such a huge hall to rest after the run, with toilets to do some changing despite needing to queue for it. Like most races, they have booths for photo taking and many sponsors booth with free samples. Besides the award ceremony, there was lucky draw and performance. So it was more of a fusion of run and carnival.

Winner of the 21km Men's Open goes to Onesmus Muindi from Kenya. He crossed the finishing line in fashion with a timing of 1hr 08min 09sec.

Anne Date or Qi Hui from Singapore did us proud as she beat Kenyan Ann Njihia to be crown champion for the 21km Women's Open with a timing of 1hr 21min and 51sec. Njihia clocked 1hr 24min and 37sec and Australian Sue Corser was third in 1hr 32min 21sec.
 
The results was released the next day which was in fact done in a very fast manner. I enjoyed the race truly despite not having a good timing but it's one of the better organized run I have attended so far this year. 

Two thumbs up.

Shortly after 2km point on the flat road
A very demoralized walking soul on the beach
United Runners group shot
Everyone is a REAL runner!

0 comments:

Post a Comment