Monday, September 26, 2011

Pandan Reservoir Run 2011

Leave a Comment
Pandan Reservoir Run is a low profile race organized by Ayer Rajah Community Centre. There wasn't any website or publicity done for this run as it was actually meant to be a annual bonding session for the residents within the neighbourhood, where I only realized during the run.

I wouldn't have known anything about this run if not for the friendly note Vivian posted on United Runner's facebook page. What actually draw me to the event was the low cost involved in signing up for the race. A mere SGD 5 entitles one to own a singlet and a finisher medal. On top of that, a morning run round Pandan Reservoir totaling 6.2km  should be very well worth the money.

Signing up wasn't the easiest task as one needs to fill up and sign on the form and have it submitted at the community centre, which wasn't located at the most convenient place. Vivian graciously offered to scan and sent to us the participation form so we could have it sign and sent back.

Due to the low cost involved, I was actually expecting plenty of screw ups and I was proven right. The first incident happened to me during the race pack collection date. Opening the collection on a Tuesday and Thursday night was a first for me and the community centre opened an hour late, at 8pm when the registration form stated collection to occur from 7pm - 9pm.
My 1st Cloth Number Bib!
The second shock came when I saw the number bib which was actually just a cloth with number printed on it. And realised there was no championchip to record our timing as well. I was slightly disappointed but know that was bound to happen since the run was charging so cheap.

On actual race day, kind Vivian offered to drive me over and I could not have imagine what time I will reach should I be going there in the morning. It was a petty crowd, with no more than 100 people and the run flag off at 7.25am after some stretching exercise and a morning cheer by Member of Parliament for Ayer Rajah,  Foo Mee Har. We ran in a clockwise direction, around a reservoir of water, on a ground with plenty of small rocks and pebbles. Running on rocky terrain is a whole new experience and I can picture the torturous look on any runner with vibram FiveFingers , where luckily there was none.
Back from the run
I clocked a timing of 30 minutes and 17 seconds, which is 17 seconds shy from my target but well enough to be placed third male runner, fourth overall. The champion clocked 27 minutes while first lady finished in 29 minutes. It was my first trophy ever and even if it was for a small race, it was a bonus to have.
4 United Runners got trophies
But all United Runners are champions!
The residents, committee members and runners of Pandan Reservior Run 2011
Actually the surprise doesn't stop here since on top of the medal and singlet, there was actually still stuffs like shoe bag, water bottle, notepad, bag chain, mini light, biscuits, banana and water. Well worth the 5 bucks, definitely. If you ask me if I will take part next year, why not?

Worth the 5 dollars? (Banana, Biscuits and Water consumed..)

Latest Update:

16 Oct - The Trophy is finally here!!! :)



0 comments:

Post a Comment